Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 3: Water truck delivery in Cite Soleil

FBCS Acteens of Sylacauga, Alabama
Day 3

So today was Water Truck day and aside from it being physically/mentally exhausting, everything was gorgeous. The people, the works of love, and especially the kids.
 
The place we went to was Cite Soleil and it was a very poverty stricken type of environment. There were literally houses that were being built together with thin pieces of cardboard and tin cans. Garbage and a swimming pool of sewage filled the tiny roadways and also filled the air with this strong stench that consisted of old food, garbage, and the occasional sewage. Yet, within the midst of all this odor....all this garbage, it was breathtakingly beautiful. These people were happy. I remember seeing this little boy pour a bowl of water over his head and he just had the biggest grin. I think he even danced a tad bit too!

Smiling and waving really is a good technique while you're doing work on the mission field. I just think it is so cool that I can smile at someone; a complete stranger, and they'll actually smile back! That doesn't really happen in America. A good portion of the Haitians living in Cite Soleil have lost hope ever since the earthquake hit in 2010. Living day-by-day in a slum type of environment does not really give any inklings of hope. I think that us going to deliver water really gives these people something to look forward too...something to give them hope.   

 The kids were precious. They were waiting for us outside of the tap-tap and were just begging to be held. We had kids all over us! Whether they were on our back, on our hips, or even dangling by our arms! It was so wonderful to see their faces light up with joy.

I honestly can say that I learned a handful of stuff today just by observing these people and their daily lifestyles. The most important thing I learned today, though, was to be thankful for what I have. After this week, I'll go back home to my two story house which provides running water, a place to sleep, food, and clothes to wear and I'll thank God for it all. I am so eternally grateful for all that God has blessed me with. I'll always keep the Haitians in my prayers and in my heart.
~ACTeens Mallory & Nicole
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment